Terms and Conditions
Welcome to The Deep! As a subscriber/community member of The Deep, you agree to be legally bound by these Terms & Conditions. The Deep may change these Terms & Conditions from time to time, so please check back periodically. Your use of The Deep’s website/platforms after any changes have been posted will constitute your agreement to the modified Terms. You understand and agree that The Deep may discontinue or change our website(s), platform(s), and/or services at any time, without notice. You also understand and agree that The Deep may discontinue or restrict your use of our website(s)/platform(s) for any reason without notice and without any liability to you. In addition, when using The Deep’s website(s)/platform(s), you are subject to any posted guidelines or rules applicable to the Service, which may be posted from time to time and which are hereby incorporated by reference into these Terms & Conditions.
The content displayed on The Deep’s website(s)/platform(s), including the selection, arrangement, and design (“Content”) is the property of The Deep or its licensors, unless otherwise noted, and is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws. The Content may be used only for your personal and non-commercial use and may not be edited or modified for any purpose. By accessing The Deep’s website(s)/platform(s), you agree not to reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, display, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate the Content to anyone, except that you may occasionally reproduce, distribute, display or transmit an insubstantial portion of Content, for a noncommercial purpose, to a limited number of individuals, provided you use the phrase “Used with permission from The Deep LLC.” All rights not expressly granted herein are hereby reserved.
If you believe in good faith that any Content infringes your copyright, you may send us a notice requesting that the material be removed, though we cannot guarantee that any action will be taken as a result of your correspondence.
User-generated content: submitting material for publication
The Deep’s mission is to spark curiosity and engaging conversations among people with different points of view. We do this, in part, by offering a range of viewpoints, opinions, and perspectives on topics. The viewpoints/opinions/perspectives we write about do not necessarily represent the views of The Deep. Occasionally, The Deep may publish user-generated content on its platform. User-generated content does not represent the views of The Deep.
Users who submit material for publication to us agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Publication of any material will be at our sole discretion. We reserve the right to make additions or deletions to the text, graphics, or information prior to publication. We also reserve the right to refuse publication.
- You grant us a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and licence to use, publish, reproduce, modify, adapt, translate, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly communicate, publicly perform, sublicense, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any material you submit, in any format now known or hereafter created, including without limitation print and electronic format. You also agree that we may permit other parties to publish and communicate to the public any material you submit to us in any format, and that we may use your name and/or other identifying information you provide/permit in connection with that Content. You also permit any visitor or member of The Deep’s community to use such content for personal, non-commercial use.
- You warrant that any material you submit is your own original work and that you own the copyright and any other relevant rights. If you would like to tell us about material that isn’t your copyright and which we may want to use, please tell us who owns it so we can ask permission to republish.
- You warrant that the material you submit is not obscene, offensive, pornographic, obtained without permission, or otherwise illegal.
- You agree not to submit material that is deliberately intended to upset, mislead, or misinform other users.
- You will take reasonable steps to ensure that any material you submit is not defamatory of any person. If you suspect that material may be defamatory (or if you are not sure), you must tell us at the time you submit the material to us.
You acknowledge that any breach of these conditions may cause us damage or loss. You agree to indemnify us in full and permanently against any third-party liabilities, claims, costs, loss or damage we incur as a result of your breach of conditions (2) to (6) above. You must act honestly and in good faith in your dealings with us and (if requested) you must provide us with reasonable assistance to settle, defend or investigate any third party claims arising as a result of our publication of material you submit to us.
We reserve the right to mute or block you from The Deep’s platforms if we believe you are abusing the services or violating our terms in any way.
Interactions with our site are governed by our Community Standards (see below), which expand on the points above and are incorporated in these Terms of Service. You will be deemed to consent to these guidelines if you choose to post any content or comments to the site.
General principles for submissions, disclosure and peer review
The Deep is committed to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct. Authors have a duty to ensure that their work maintains the good name of The Deep.
fThe Deep requires authors to disclose any potential conflict of interest. A conflict exists where an individual’s interests diverge from their professional responsibilities such that an independent observer might reasonably conclude that the author has been unduly influenced by their own interest. Where applicable, you must include information on sources of financial and in-kind support for the research, and must reveal actual or potential conflicts of interest. Whenever possible, we prefer that research results have undergone a recognised process of peer review prior to publication.
When you subscribe to The Deep, your subscription and/or use of the site is an agreement to abide by our Terms and Conditions. As a subscriber you agree that:
- Your email address and password are personal to you and are not owned by another person or entity.
- You will not do anything that would assist anyone who is not a blocked/muted user to comment or publish content on The Deep.
- You do not create additional registration accounts for the purpose of abusing the site or other users, nor do you create additional registration accounts to let other people abuse the site or other users. In addition, you agree that you do not seek to pass yourself off as another user.
- You have not previously had your subscription canceled by The Deep due to violations of our terms and conditions.
- You comply with these terms and conditions.
If, for any reason, we believe you have not complied with these requirements, we may, at our discretion, cancel your subscription and remove your access to The Deep’s platforms immediately and without notice.
Termination of Subscription
If we wish to bring your subscription to an end, we will do so by emailing you at the address you have registered stating that your subscription to The Deep has terminated. The agreement will terminate and your email address will be unsubscribed from The Deep immediately. In addition, we may at our sole discretion choose to block/mute you on our social media or other platforms.
The Deep strives to maintain the highest editorial standards at all times. However, we don’t always get things right. Should you feel it necessary to correct an error or complain about an article, please The Deep strives to represent various viewpoints, perspectives and opinions on a topic. We strive for accuracy in everything we do. We encourage users to advise us of any significant errors.
Links to third party sites
The Deep’s website(s), platform(s) and/or Content may contain hyperlinks to websites operated by third parties. You agree not to hold The Deep responsible for the content or operation of such websites. A hyperlink from the The Deep to another website does not imply or mean that The Deep endorses the content on that website or the owner, operator or operations of that site. You are solely responsible for determining the extent to which you may use any content at any other website to which you might link from the The Deep.
The Deep is a place for intelligent discussion and engaging conversation. By posting or commenting, you aren’t just offering your opinion; you’re contributing to our culture. Ideally the discussion that take place on The Deep will be, if anything, more illuminating than the original content that sparked the discussion. In order to do that, we need your help. We ask that all community members follow these guidelines:
- Be respectful, curious and open-minded about other people’s experiences and opinions.
- Represent yourself truthfully.
- Keep comments on-topic and constructive.
- Don’t attack, bully or troll other people.
- If someone attacks or trolls you, don’t respond. Just report the person and move on.
- When posting, consider the following questions (and if the answer to any of them is no, consider whether posting is a good idea):
- Is it true?
- Is it necessary?
- Is it said in a kind and respectful manner?
- Does it deepen or further the conversation?
Represent yourself honestly
When posting, use an account that is attached to your real name. This helps us maintain transparency and avoid trolls. We reserve the right to delete comments made under aliases or by accounts we suspect to be bots.
Speak in a respectful and considerate manner
We’re here to talk about ideas and share opinions. We are not here to attack or discuss the people behind them.
We will delete: personal attacks directed at anyone; pornographic, obscene or indecent posts; posts we believe exist only to offend, misinform, or mislead; posts identifying or sharing the personal information/likeness of another person without their consent (including children); and comments that are commercial or repeatedly share external links.
You’ll come across opinions you disagree with. That doesn’t make them invalid. Your purpose as a community member is not to convince other people that your opinion is right. Listen and engage with other people with respect and dignity. Follow the Golden Rule (do unto others as you would have them do unto you). Admit when you’re wrong.
Keep comments relevant to the topic at hand. We reserve the right to delete unrelated or off-topic comments.
Further the conversation
Explain why you agree or disagree with something. Your reasoning is even more important than which side you take. For example:
- “The Deep sucks/This newsletter is B.S.,” will be deleted.
- “I disagree with how you positioned this newsletter. Here’s why …” will not be.
- “You guys are idiots,” will be deleted.
- “Have you considered the idea that …” will not be.
Your comments should add a new idea or angle, rather than simply repeating what’s already been said.
Where applicable, provide links to sources that back up your ideas. If you’re claiming something as scientific fact, provide credible references.
We reserve the right to distinguish between constructive comments and smear campaigns. Any deliberate attempts to misinform, distort facts or misrepresent the opinions of others will not be tolerated.
Don’t put us in legal jeopardy
Don’t post anything that may put us in legal jeopardy. What does that mean? Do not post anything defamatory, libelous, pornographic or in breach of copyright laws.
If you engage in a conversation with another community member, you are partly responsible for the quality of that conversation. Don’t engage in conversation that’s not worth your time/energy/attention. Report any comments/posts/community members you think violate our community standards.
Our responsibility to The Deep community
We reserve the right to remove comments and/or mute/block community members that violate these standards. We take a zero-tolerance approach to trolling and bullying.
When we delete comments, replies to those comments may also be deleted. We may also choose to close comments may be closed if community members are abiding by our community standards.
Per our policy on removing content, we will only remove comments that don’t violate these standards in exceptional circumstances.
If you have a question about our community standards, community moderation or need to discuss anything, please contact us at email@example.com.
Additional User Obligations
In consideration of your use of the Service, you represent that you are of legal age to form a binding contract and are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or other applicable jurisdiction. You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself upon subscription/registration and thereafter. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your account across all of The Deep’s website(s)/platform(s). You agree to immediately notify the The Deep of any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security. The Deep cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with these Terms. You agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable Content, including all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside.
You agree not to use The Deep’s website(s), platform(s) or Services to:
- Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available (“Post”) any Content:
- that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, false or inaccurate, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
- that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements); or that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights (“Rights”) of any party;
- Harm minors in any way;
- Impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Post any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation;
- Post any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- Interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
- Violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, intentionally or unintentionally;
- “Stalk” or otherwise harass another;
- and/or Collect or store personal data about other users.
The Deep publishes Content and allows users to post Content (including articles, posts, comments, photos, graphics, images, information, links, quotes, opinions, and more) on a wide variety of topics, some of which are controversial. We also encourage frank and open discussion by people with differing viewpoints. Some of the Content generated by The Deep and/or its users may be considered objectionable, shocking, profane, or offensive to certain people. In addition, some of the language generated by The Deep and/or its users may be considered profane, vulgar, or offensive to certain people. Due to the kind of Content on The Deep’s website(s)/platform(s), our content may not be appropriate for everyone including children/individuals under the age of 18.
The Deep logo and name are trademarks of The Deep LLC. You agree not to display or use the TPM Marks in any manner without TPM’s prior written consent.
Moderation and Reporting
Abuse All community interaction is subject to some level of moderation to ensure the spirit of the community standards is upheld.
- Although we monitor all content posted by users on The Deep’s platforms, we also rely on visitors to help us moderate community interaction. Due to the volume of content posted on our platforms, we cannot guarantee all comments are appropriate or in the spirit of our community standards at every given moment.
- Reporting abuse. We try to keep an eye on all community activity. However, we also rely on our users to report abusive, offensive or otherwise inappropriate comments. This alerts us to problems and areas of concern to the community and helps us make the space better for everyone.
- Participants who seriously, persistently or wilfully ignore community standards, participation guidelines or terms and conditions will be muted, blocked, lose access, and/or have their subscriptions to The Deep canceled. These are not actions we take lightly or do arbitrarily. However, the community interaction that takes place on our platforms must reflect the high value we place on civilized conversation, debate and disagreement. We reserve the right to make decisions that help us uphold our standards.
- Employees of The Deep may contact you about your participation, especially when an issue comes up regarding a potential violation of our community standards. Any advice they give/request/make should be adhered to because their requests are made in the spirit of enforcing our community standards and creating a constructive and open-minded environment for our community members.
- When necessary, we may mute, block or remove users and/or their postings/comments. If a contribution/comment/post is perceived as breaching our community guidelines, it will be removed by the editorial team in the interests of keeping our platforms appropriate and in line with our values for the vast majority of the people who visit. (Note: We will not edit user posts to change the meaning, spelling, or anything else intended by the user. Even if only part of a comment or posting is perceived as breaching community guidelines, the whole comment/post may be removed. Also, when a comment or post is removed for any of the reasons above, it is sometimes necessary to delete subsequent messages/replies/threads that refer to or quote from the original (removed) comment. We reserve the right to remove/delete later comments/posts that repeat or directly quote the original, problematic comment.)
The Deep reserves the right to moderate comments on its platforms. We reserve the right to take steps or implement measures that we believe will benefit the whole community of participants.
Because we are ultimately responsible for everything that appears on our platforms, all actions and decisions taken by The Deep with regard to community moderation are final. Due to the quantity of content we are responsible for, we cannot enter into correspondence regarding specific moderation activity, although all correspondence will be read.